King Oyster Vegan Mushroom Bacon
(by Mario Fabbri, TV Host, Trying Vegan with Mario)
King oyster mushrooms are praised for their unique texture. They are meaty and umami, which makes them ideal for vegan jerky or bacon. This recipe is a great introduction to this fabulous mushroom and a fantastic way to level up your dehydrator skills.
Time & Temperature: Dehydrate at 117 °F / 47 °C for 6-8 hours.
Equipment: SAHARA Folding Dehydrator.
- 4-6 king oyster mushrooms
- 3/4 C liquid smoke
- 1/4 C agave
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 T cooking oil or vegan butter
- Pinch of salt
- Slice the mushrooms very thin.
- Dehydrate the mushrooms on 117 °F / 47 °C for 6-8 hours.
- Prepare the marinade. In a bowl, mix together the liquid smoke, agave, salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Soak the dehydrated mushrooms in the marinade.
- Heat up a frying pan with some cooking oil. Cook the mushrooms for about 2 minutes on each side.