Franklin Red Beef Jerky
(by Anthony Vella, Paramotor Pilot)
We live beside the Franklin Mountains, and it is locally understood that "Franklin Red" refers to the reddish brown composition of the mountain that we all love so much. Hence, Franklin Red Beef Jerky! If you are up for a sweet and spicy treat, follow this recipe:
Time & Temperature: Dehydrate at 160º F for 6-8 hours.
Equipment: SAHARA Folding Dehydrator.
- 1 pound of eye of round (trim the fat)
- 1/2 cup of coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp of hickory liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 heaping tsp of onion powder
- 1 heaping tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 tbsp of habanero flakes (See Recipe Right)
Homemade Habanero Flakes with the SAHARA
- Slice the beef (with the grain) 1/4" thickness and place into a large ziplock bag.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the bag, zip, and massage for several minutes or until all of the beef has been covered in the mixture.
- Place into the refrigerator for 24 hours. Invert the ziplock bag 12 hours into to ensure even more consistency.
- After 24 hrs, place each slice of beef onto a chopping block or cutting board to pound the beef with a meat tenderizer. To avoid splashing of the marinade, place a piece of plastic on top of the splice when hitting with a tenderizer.
- Lay the slices on the drying rack with at least 2" between to ensure adequate airflow.
- Set Brod & Taylor Sahara Dehydrator to 160º F for 6-8 hours.
OPTIONAL: For an added kick (my personal favorite), lightly sprinkle homemade habanero flakes on top of the slices just before inserting the drying trays back into your Sahara dehydrator.